- William G. Finley
- September 3, 2017
- August 9, 2018
This tool does work. At first I had the same issue as many other reviewers where all the breakers in my box seemed to have a signal and I could not find the correct breaker. I was ready to box the unit up and send it back but decided to look closer and follow the instructions more precisely. Instructions do not come inside the box and must be downloaded from Sperry's website (A quick google search with the model number brought the instructions up right away). A few points to get the tool to work.
1. Ignore the 60hz buzzing/whining type sound the receiver picks up any time it gets close to the breaker box. Eventually I concluded this sound is noise from the AC lines inside the breaker box and in my case all the breakers in the box emit this noise a different levels. I was confusing this sound as the signal coming from the transmitter initially because the level is different for each breaker which made it seem like a signal from transmitter to me. It would have been easy to filter this noise out with a few more components inside the tool, but this would probably have added a little cost and clearly the main goal of this tool is low cost.
2. The LED level indicator is useless as the 60hz noise referenced above triggers this indicator and on most of the breakers max this indicator out.
3. It's very important to orient the wand attached to the receiver correctly. It must be held vertically against the face of the breaker.
4. Listen for the distinct beep - beep - beep sound mixed in with the 60hz noise. When you put the wand on the correct breaker this beep will be loudest. In my case, you could hear the beep on 1-2 adjacent breakers, but not nearly as loud as the correct breaker.
Giving this tool a 4 star rating is probably very generous, but it does work and the price is very good. I would imagine the more expensive tools have the appropriate filter to get rid of the 60hz noise. As an occasional user of this tool, I would rather save a few $$, but if you are a frequent user or a professional electrician this tool may not be for you.
- Edward F. Newbold
- July 26, 2015
- Received it and immediately went about tracing outlets to circuit breakers. Works perfectly and is priced just right. Just plug the transmitter into an outlet, hold the receiver (the big one with the arrow) up to the transmitter, pull the receiver trigger and wait for the beeping to stop on the receiver. Release the trigger, go to the breaker box, and scan down the breakers. You will probably hear two or more breakers beeping. Re-scan the breakers while pulling the trigger, and keep rescanning until there's only one breaker remaining that beeps. That's the one. Great product. Took only 30 minutes to trace my complete breaker box!